This is part two of a three part series: New Home, what you need to know. Click here for part one.
Want to buy land and build a home? How hard can it be?
If you have looked into this option, you may know there are many details of which you need to be informed. Have no fear, your new home experts are here to help.
Building on your own land does not need to be scary and hairy, but should be approached with an understanding of the details involved. Here are key details to fit your plan.
Understand that the cost is more than House + Land. In our day of regulation, complying with the details of constructing a new building has become increasingly burdensome. A builder with experience will understand how to break down these cost for you. They include:
- Costs for Well and septic if applicable.
- Costs and availability to connect to public utilities if available
- The requirements for a 'Storm Water Mitigation Plan'. Every new home must have a way to control water runoff during a storm.
- Driveway requirements: if on a hill, state road or other limiting factors, a driveway permit may not be granted, which can shut you down before you get started. The length of driveway may also have a huge impact on your budget.
- Costs to remove trees, rocks and prepare the site. These can be staggering if you have not prepared for them.
- Heat source: is natural gas available? If not, will you bury a propane tank or use a high efficiency heat pump?
Given all these questions, costs and requirements how do you proceed?
Do not buy land without doing your homework! Many regrets have formed from this mistake.
Our new construction experts can help you through the process to arrive at your dream home on your own land.
Not every builder will build on your own property. You will want and need a builder who builds many homes 'On your own lot' and is intimately familiar with costs and requirements to do so.
Working with many of the local builders, we can match you with a builder who shares your vision and can make it a reality WITHIN your budget and time frame.
Call us for a free no-obligation consultation to start the process of taking your dream home from a dream to a reality!